Author Topic: Push the guard button to can-"I REFUSE TO DIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIE!"  (Read 1046 times)

EsperHubb

• Avid Gamer/Hobbyist Artist
    • View Profile
As the topic states, this lil gem is about how Guarding actually cancels out the dying animation.

This is done when you, of course, lose all of your health. By guarding within the right frames, you can actually cancel out your death animation and go into the guard stance as if you are holding on to your dear life with the shield. However, when you can cancel out of this animation is still hard to determine at the moment.

How I found out about this to begin with is when I just decided on a whim to mash all the buttons to see if I can do anything at all, and then over time I come to realize that tapping Guard is the actual key to preventing death.
How many times do you need to hit guard in order to cancel out of the animation is still being figured out as it seems as if timing it may be the main factor:

https://youtu.be/9RaF9ZXizbw
In this first video, I experimented with what I can do once I snap out of the death animation and into the guard stance:
  • Could still move but only while guarding
  • Could still use the dash out of the guard
  • Could still use certain special abilies that uses the stab button like the cannon shot out of the guard
  • Could not use anything that involves the slash button unless it's a dash attack
  • Could not Jump
  • Could not Pause
  • Can recharge mana

I bold the last item because this can be abused with one piece of equipment currently, The Healer Chest piece.
https://youtu.be/vDBiNJGcVqY

You can still charge mana back up because you are still in the guard stance, and because of how Healing wave works (When you've charged all your mana up, the next charge will deplete it and restore your health), you can heal for a lil bit and continue to fight.

This could be fixed if you make a state where the control input is cut off the moment there is no health left for the player, but this just a suggestion since I know nothing of what works under the hood of the game. I'll keep poking around to see if I can come across more things, I'm starting to thing guarding could do more than what I have discovered.

Mitko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Push the guard button to can-"I REFUSE TO DIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIE!"
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2016, 06:09:40 PM »
This is the best bug ever. I know it's pretty early in the alpha, but I'm calling it - BEST BUG EVER!